Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Theories on the Meaning of Success

SUCCESS
Like the people I have interviewed, I too have struggled with the meaning of success. I used to always say happiness like many of those interviewed. I knew that fame and money and cars were not the keys to success, however when I would watch tv and see a famous person and their big house, I would think of them as successful. But the truth is, I don't think they were necessarily "happy". How can I think someone who is unhappy is successful if I think happiness is needed in order to be successful? I began pondering this last year and decided to look up some information on people that were famous. I wanted to know how they lived their life and if they were happy. I had problems finding the truth about all of the famous people because there was so much gossip and it was hard to distinguish between what was real and what wasn't. So I had to look at the facts. I looked at the large number of short marriages and divorces (why would you get divorced if you were happy?) and the number of arrests of famous people. I also looked at a few other factors and determined that many of them do not seem happy. Since they are not happy, they must not be successful. Many people think of these famous people as being successful as well. The media is tricking us into thinking fame and money and cars are the compenents for being successful, but if we just take time to realize that those "components" do not match with what our definition of success is, then we can begin to see that success does not have to be defined as the media would like us to define it. Happiness may indeed be the main key to success, as long as we know if the so called "successful" person is truly happy.

I found this link of the shortest celebrity marriages.
The shortest one was 6 hours! and Britney's may be determined as even shorter than that.
Check it Out:
http://weddings.about.com/cs/justforfun/a/ShortCelebWeds.htm


2 comments:

Lance Johann said...

I think the key to happiness is inside every person. You have to do what you wanna do. To me the most important thing in life is your relationships with other people. Surrond yourself with people you love and people that love you and you could be happy watching TV in a mansion or reading cartoons from an old newspaper in a wet alleyway. It's up to you to be happy. You have to make it happen.

Nicole said...

Kassi you do such a great job with blogging. The theme of theories runs through every title and you really take advantage of all the affordances of linking and embedding. Just remember when you link that after you past the website you need to click on link and paste it in the screen that pops up. If you don't do that it won't become a hyperlink.