Thursday, September 11, 2008

Theory of Fairness


Fair Use
The website did a good job on explaining what fair use is, however I am not sure I agree with it. I do not understand why you are not allowed to use the entire work even if you site it. I have used entire songs for projects before as background music and I never once thought I was plagiarizing?! I do believe people should receive credit for their work, but how are we supposed to get the information we need to use if we can not use the "main points" of the article. If I was looking for a topic other than that of the article I was reading, then I would be reading a different article. There should definitely be a mandatory bibliography for everything that has borrowed work, but if credit is given where credit is due, why are we not allowed to use the credited source?

1 comment:

Nicole said...

First let me say I love your blog post titles. And I really like the cartoon you posted. Its so funny and, frankly, true. That really happens. I hope that after class Thursday you understood Fair Use better. I understand your questions and argument, I even agree, but my job is to make sure you follow the rules the government puts in place.